Friday, September 30, 2011

What's in season at my local farmers' market

I was thinking about one of the queries in my recent post about Fall Equinox, What local foods are coming into season now where I live?

And so I found myself taking notes as I walked around my local farmers' market on Saturday.

I do realize there's some difference between "what's available" and "what's in season." :)   Here's what was available:

Produce: 
  • raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
  • tomatoes (greenhouse-grown)
  • damson plums
  • cucumbers
  • neeps (turnips)
  • greens (including curly purple kale!)
  • beetroot (beets)
  • apples
  • pears
  • pumpkins and other squash
  • other root vegetables
  • leeks
  • potatoes

Meat: 
  • chicken, duck, turkey
  • beef, including local beef burgers hot off the grill
  • buffalo
  • pork, including local barbecue sandwiches
  • fish (salmon smoked and fresh, haddock, cod, and more) (including smoked salmon sandwiches)
Other:
  • eggs
  • cheeses
  • soup
  • baked goods
  • hot oatmeal, ready-to-eat; oatmeal bars, oats, oatmeal, oatmeal ready-mix
  • chocolate
  • chocolate gelato (!)
  • flowers
  • potted herbs
  • bread
  • jams and chutneys
  • soaps
  • hummus 
  • other spreads
  • border tablet (think butter and brown sugar, the consistency of solid fudge you get down the ocean (MD), down the shore (NJ), or in St. Ignace (MI)

I'm realizing that when I think "in season," I think mostly about produce, because that's the rhythm I'm most familiar with -- from vegetable gardening as a kid in the Mid-Atlantic, from farms and orchards in Michigan when I lived there, from family friends with farms when I was growing up and farm stands most of my life.

I have some head-knowledge about that rhythm when it comes to meat, but I don't have it in my body the same way I do with fruits and veg.  I know a little about the rhythm of salmon from our time in the Pacific NW of the US, a little about the rhythm of chicken from the farm where we used to buy chickens in NJ; I'm just starting to learn about fish here.

(And from my childhood, I'm still very confused when people eat crabs any time other than high summer.  Or when uncooked crabs are any color but blue.  *grin*)

No comments: