Monday, May 14, 2012

Recommended article: "I Crochet Because I'm Hooked" (Tape Flags and First Thoughts)

"I Crochet Because I'm Hooked" (Tape Flags and First Thoughts)
http://tapeflags.blogspot.com/2012/05/i-crochet-because-im-hooked.html

I crocheted my way through the Midwinter Gathering, and liked it. I felt like I had joined the community of stitchy people. But I was also interested to notice that crocheting seemed to keep me from blurting out jokes at inappropriate times during business meeting, one of my less attractive habits. I also found that having my hands busy allowed me to focus my mind more effectively; often I have a notebook open in biz meeting, and end up doodling or thinking about to-do lists or starting to write something. A pen and a blank sheet of paper is too appealing.


(Disclaimer up-front: Su links to an article of mine in her post.  I didn't know that when I started reading her post, and had already decided I wanted to link to her post, because I like what she said and it made me think.)

I wish I had figured it out about handwork earlier.  My love affair with Quaker process would have gone more smoothly, earlier, I think, if I had had some form of handwork in Meeting for Worship with Attention to Business sooner.  Actually, I did want to do handwork earlier, and even tried to learn to knit for the third time -- and failed for the third time.

But, I learned to crochet when I did, and it definitely helps keep me centered, and helps me listen better.

Looking at Su's pictures, I have a vision of her making a rainbow octopi for the FLGBTQC auction at FGC Gathering. *grin*

2 comments:

Su said...

Rainbow octopus is a great idea! I'm glad you liked the article. I was clearly inspired by you, and as I was trying this out and having this experience, I kept thinking, "This is kind of what Stasa was talking about..."

sta┼Ťa said...

Oh, how neat! Both to the rainbow octopus, and also to having the experience and thinking it was related to what I was talking about. Yes, definitely!

Huh. I think the rest of this comment is actually a short blog post, so I won't post it here, but will go make a draft out of it...

I love how bouncing ideas like this can help new ones/new writings come out of hiding/come into flower....