Monday, September 9, 2013

Building the labyrinth, part I: Laying it out on paper

I posted recently about the labyrinth my workshop built at FGC Gathering this summer.  I promised I'd post a detailed how-to; here it is!

Part I: Laying it out on paper

First, draw the seed pattern.  I used this seed pattern, but modified:

Original seed pattern
Original seed pattern

I wanted fewer right angles, but still the suggestion of a heart shape in the middle from having some right angles.  Here is the modification: 

First modification to seed pattern
First modification to seed pattern
 However, if you create a labyrinth just from this, you end up with too many choice points, and not a simple, straightforward labyrinth.  (Go ahead and try it without this next step; you'll see.)  So, I added a line: 

Modified seed pattern
Modified seed pattern

First connection:

One connection
One connection

Second connection.  Basically, the connections always go from the next unconnected point on one side to the next unconnected point on the other: 

Two connections
Two connections

Third connection:

Three connections
Three connections

 Fourth connection:

Four connections
Four connections
Fifth connection:

Five connections
Five connections
Sixth and final connection:

Six connections (all connected)
Six connections (all connected)

Next post: how we laid this out on the grass!

No comments: