Monday, May 28, 2012

Busy hands; centered worship; the web of community

I was in a meeting recently of a clearness committee I'd agreed to serve on.

Before we started, I said something along the lines of, "I just want to share with you all that if I crochet during our worship together, it's not disrespect; it's that with my disability, it helps me listen better.  I know there's been some talk -- not among this group here, but in the larger community, and so you may have heard it -- about my crocheting in worship.  So..."

The more I talked, the more shocked they looked.  I trailed off.

Our convenor, a strong and powerful woman, shared, in a way that was somehow serene, tender, and no-nonsense all at once, about someone she knows who has a learning disability, but as soon as she has something to do with her hands, can quiet and center herself. 

It was very clear I didn't need to explain myself.  These women completely understood and supported my doing handwork while we worshiped and worked together.

I felt held in the Light, and in the web of community.

No comments: