Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Eostara!

Happy Spring Equinox!

So here we are, on the balance point between Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice.  We are half-way between the longest night of the year and the longest day of the year -- between the day with the most hours of darkness and the day with the most hours of light; between the day with the fewest hours of light and the day with the fewest hours of darkness.  Between the shortest day and the shortest night. 

We're also halfway between Brigid, when the days first are really noticeably longer, and Beltane, when spring springs forth with great energy and abandon. 

I've lived most of my life in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US, but I lived for several years in other parts of the country -- the Midwest, the Pacific Northwest -- and I paid close attention to the progression of the seasons there, too.  Even in the Mid-Atlantic, just between the city where I grew up and the city where I've lived the longest, which are a scant 100 miles apart, there's a difference in how quickly spring comes. 

But everywhere I've lived, there's a noticeable difference right now.  Even my last year in Michigan, when it snowed on Spring Equinox (and then again at the end of March!), Spring was still very clearly on Her way. 

I've had eggs on my mind for the last week. 

And rabbits. 

And chocolate. 

And cardinals.  There's a mated pair in our neighborhood, and not only have they finally, finally discovered our bird feeder, they even sometimes come to it together.  This brings me happiness. 

There are crocuses in the communal lawn, and shoots poking their green heads up through the earth all over the place.  I've seen some snowdrops.  

Our neighbors' baby is no longer a newborn, but well into infancy. 

Driving to the Roses, Too! Spring Equinox potluck yesterday, I saw a few sheltered daffodils starting to bloom, and lots of forsythia blooming alongside the road. 

The temperatures were in the 70s F on Friday, in the 50s F over the weekend.  And thet will dip down to freezing overnight, with snow flurries possible. 

Yes, we are on the balance point. 

What signs in nature tell you we're on the balance point between Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice, between Brigid and Beltane? 


What's happening in your own spiritual life that reflects what's happening in nature?  


How are you still stuck in the cocoon or shell of winter?  


What environment are you emerging into?  


How are you transformed as you emerge from your shell or your cocoon into spring? 

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Thank you for posting Sarah's poem, Stasa. It was very moving for me to read it again. I liked your musings on Brigid and Beldane, the cardinals, bunnies, et al. You write really well.

staśa said...

Thank you for your comment, and for the compliments as well.