In the warmth of your presence, I am safe at home
I will stand, I will stand...
[I had written out the words to Pat Humphries and Sandy Opatow's "I Will Stand," which was written for a graduating class (my Ffriend Rebecca's) at the Woolman Semester.]
Interest Group: The Radical Inclusiveness of NPYM
- Quakerism is larger than Christianity; to limit Quakerism to Christianity is to limit the power of Quakerism.
- Quakerism is more powerful than Christianity alone.
- if theology is not the ultimate "test," and if the peace testimony is not the ultimate "test," then what is?
- -- is it our commitment to Quaker process?
- to use the blind men with the elephant as a metaphor
- -- is Quakerism about the whole elephant, or about one part?
- -- (is Christianity, and does Christianity see itself as, the whole elephant, or part?)
- if John's a tube, and for him the energy comes from above, whereas for me it comes from below... does that make me a straw?? :)
- "what's going to put me in my reverence?" "what's going to help me in my tenderness and care?"
- "settle your body first, and then place your hands" --> when did i start doing that in the opposite order?
- keeps coming back to the heart
- Meeting for Worship for Healing
- -- gathering ppl's reverence and tenderness
- -- like doing energy work in a large group
- "you know, healing was one of the first things Quakers got thrown in jail for" (Fox's Book of Miracles) (like Richard [Lee] said)
- haven't had someone around me "who understands the gift to help with discernment" and support, as john says
- this is beginning work, not what he does with a client or a victim of torture